While Accessibility Services appreciates the support and concern that parents and guardians show for students, we remind parents and guardians that post-secondary is a time for students to foster independence.
Parents and Guardians are reminded that:
- Students over 18 years of age are adults and thus are responsible for setting up their own accommodations with Accessibility Services.
- Accessibility Coordinators cannot speak to parents or guardians about a student without written consent from the student. The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act guides Red Deer Polytechnic's confidentiality and consent policies.
- Parents and guardians can advocate on behalf of the student and assist students in obtaining documentation, but ultimately it is the student's decision to register with our department and to obtain their recommended accommodations.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Disclose disability to Accessibility Services - It is up to the student whether or not they would like a parent or guardian to attend their intake appointment
- Provide documentation to Accessibility Services
- Follow procedures and deadlines for accommodations
- The student is responsible for meeting with the coordinator at the beginning of each semester to discuss and review their accommodations for the upcoming semester
- Meeting with an Accessibility Coordinator to discuss any concerns or changes to their needs
- Meet with Accessibility Services in a timely manner to ensure that accommodations can be arranged prior to classes and/or examinations
Parent’s or Guardian's Role
- Assist student with articulating strengths and abilities
- Encourage the student to connect with Accessibility Services
- Encourage the student to participate in on-campus activities
- Promote independence and decision making
- Assist with the preparation and gathering of documentation
- Assist with financial planning
- Provide support and encouragement throughout your student’s studies
Accessibility Services' Role
- Meet with students to arrange accommodations and support them during their transition to Red Deer Polytechnic
- Review documentation and assist students in obtaining additional accommodation, if required
- Discuss funding options with students and make students aware of grants available to them during their studies
- Collaborate with students to create appropriate accommodations
- Assess students for assistive/adaptive technology needs
- Assist students with obtaining and understanding any assistive technology required
- Provide alternative format materials, when applicable